Wednesday, December 10, 2008

iPods and cell phones and the internet...oh my!

I came across an interesting and insightful entry on Al Mohler's blog yesterday (he is the president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary). There is a recent study that came out in regards to the amount of media influence upon today's teenagers and the effects that it is having. It doesn't take much awareness to note that our culture today is of the "plugged-in" nature. I'm just as much a part of this culture as I have my iPod, cell phone, Wii, and computer...and I use them every day. The answer to the media issue isn't to do away with all things digital. Rather, we need to be discerning in how we allow ourselves, and our kids, to be influenced by it. I would encourage both parents and students to read Mohler's thoughts and discuss the realities of how our lives are being influenced by the media around us and how we can be wise in our choices in this arena.

You can find Mohler's blog entry here.

You can find the actual study that he comments on here.

"And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ." Philippians 1:9-10

No comments: